Re-Elect Judge Hilary Unger
as Your Judge for the
248th District Court
Committed to Ensuring that our Criminal Justice System is Just for ALL
Hello, my name is Hilary Unger and I am your judge for the 248th District Court. I am running for re-election because I would be honored if I could continue my work providing compassionate and impartial justice.
My Core Beliefs:
- Justice for some does not equal justice for all. צֶ֥דֶק צֶ֖דֶק תִּרְדֹּ֑ף (Tzedek, Tzedek, Tirdof – Justice, Justice shall you pursue) are words from the bible that hung in Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s chambers and they are words that I take to heart.
- As a former prosecutor and defense attorney I have a uniquely balanced perspective.
- Indiscriminate incarceration is not only unjust but, it also harms our society as a whole. That is why I firmly believe that, where it is appropriate, courts should find alternatives to incarceration with an eye towards rehabilitation, a reduction in recidivism, and an increase in community safety.
- Our criminal justice system demands an unbiased, compassionate, and respectful judiciary and a judge who has had experience as both a prosecutor and as a defense attorney has the insight necessary to be a truly impartial.
- A judge must be patient and respectful of all who come before her.
- A truly fair and effective criminal justice system values the rights of both victims and defendants.
2022 Court Statistics
- We’ve picked 14 juries in 2022.
- 12 trials to verdict
- 1 mistrial in 2022
- 1 mid-trial plea in 2022
- Despite the Covid backlog, the 248th District Court has the highest case reduction (a/k/a case closure) rate since November 2012.
Harris County needs strong leadership that can fairly administer equal and impartial justice, with compassion for all.
With two-and-a-half decades of experience as both a prosecutor and as a defense attorney, I am the right choice for Judge for the 248th Criminal District Court.